Shahin Gharakhanian MD, DTM&H, Dip.PH, has expertise in Pharmaceutical Medicine, Leadership/Management, blending achievements in both the US & EU.
Shahin Gharakhanian MD, is a Physician-Executive with expertise in Pharmaceutical Medicine, Leadership and Management, and an international track record as follows:
- [Clinical Medicine] Training /and Clinical Practice @ AP-HP [Assistance Publique–Hopitâux de Paris, Paris Public Academic Hospitals] the largest hospital system in Europe and one of the largest globally.
- [Pharmaceutical Medicine] Broad experience including Vice-President of Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., Global R&D in Cambridge MA, USA, Corporate Operating Council Member.
- [Executive Medical Consultant] Shahin Gharakhanian MD Consulting LLC, a consultancy practice based @ CIC: Cambridge Innovation Center, which to date, has offered expertise to 20 companies, notably stepping in as acting Chief Medical Officer or as Scientific Advisory Board Member.
MD specialized in Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases (Clinical Virology, HIV Medicine), holding French Medical Licensure, and Medical Board of Internal Medicine certification. SG has also obtained United States ECFMG Certification and degrees in Public Health, Tropical Medicine & International Health. Continuing Medical Education at Harvard Medical School Boston Programs. He practiced Clinical Medicine (full- or part-time) in Paris. Both of these two latter activities for over 20 years. SG joined the pharmaceutical industry and progressed to Vice-President of Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., Medicines Development Group, Global R&D in Cambridge MA, USA, with three main roles: Clinical Development, Medical Affairs and Strategic Leadership. Overall: clinical development, medical education, R&D projects, regulatory approvals/launches, training programs for 12 companies, 10 brands, 4 drug launches, all in numerous therapeutic areas and geographic regions (Asia, Canada, EU, USA). He has (co-) authored ~150 conference abstracts, book chapters, peer-reviewed publications, reports & training courses. SG has founded, built and organized fully functional departments/units for biotechnology companies or hospitals, and, as an entrepreneur, two LLCs. He is a member of several international learned societies. SG is co-founder and program chair of the annual Boston Biotechnology Summit®. His passion is Patient-focused programs for novel drug & vaccine development, approval and launch.
- Clinical Development
- Drug & Vaccine Development Strategy & Plan.
- Medical Affairs.
- Infectious Diseases.
- Internal Medicine.
Roles & Responsibilities contracted
- CMO: Chief Medical Officer
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board
- Specific Projects
References on www